Home About Us FAQ Publications & Press Speaking
Links & Resources Contact Us
Limited Liability Companies
Limited Liability Partnerships
Limited Partnerships
Asset Protection Trusts
Domestic Asset Protection Trusts
Equity Stripping
Financial Planning Exemption
Tenancy By The Entirety
Charging Order Protection
International Entities
International Trusts
Captive Insurance Companies
Business Entities
Contract Formation and Review
General Business Counsel
Business Succession Planning
Current Estate Plan Review
Drafting Wills and Trusts
Incapacity Planning
Probate Administration
Charitable Remainder Trusts
Online Asset Protection Quiz.

If I sell my home, how do I shelter the proceeds?

When you sell or refinance your homesteaded home, you should shelter the proceeds. You have options: One option is to use the proceeds from the sale or refinancing to buy another exempt asset. For example, you might use the protected proceeds from selling your homesteaded home to buy an exempt annuity. Or, you might invest the proceeds in a protective entity, such as a limited partnership, LLC or irrevocable trust. Most homestead law states protect the proceeds from the sale or refinancing of an exempt asset either for a specified time (set by statute), or for a reasonable time (determined by the courts). But for continued protection of the proceeds, you must segregate the exempt proceeds in separate accounts so it can be identified as proceeds from an exempt asset.

Categories: Asset Protection
The Presser Law Firm, P.A. - Asset Protection Attorney
Located at 6199 N. Federal Highway Boca Raton, FL 33487. View Map
Phone: (561) 953-1050